Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January: My Month in Books


image source: we ♥ it

So I thought I'd share what I've been reading this month. My reading-to-blogging ratio is pretty unbalanaced (I think I worked out I'll review 2 books for every 10 I read) and as you may have noticed, it's been a bit quiet around here. I promise I'm still reading! Here's a little wrap-up of what I read this month and what I'm planning for February.

Total books read: 10
Divergent – Veronica Roth
Legend – Marie Lu
Horns – Joe Hill
Black Painted Fingernails – Steven Herrick
Don’t Breathe a Word – Holly Cupola
The Future of Us – Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
Abandon – Meg Cabot
Speak – Laurie Halse Anderson
Wintergirls – Laurie Halse Anderson
The Purity Myth – Jessica Valenti

I had a pretty varied (and slow for me) month of reading. I have to tell you though - when reading Divergent, I was so enthralled that I ended up getting on the wrong train and not realising until I was on the other side of town! I enjoyed Horns a lot (but preferred Heart Shaped Box, which gave me full-on chills) and found Wintergirls to be really scary in another way.

Books I attempted (but didn't finish): 2
Skinny Bitch - Rory Freedman & Kim Barnouin (I actually wrote a seperate post about my feelings towards this book and then deleted it  - just writing it was therapeutic enough and I decided I didn't really want to rant about it here).
A Game of Thrones - George R.R King - I really want to read this. I'm not much of a fantasy reader but I think I'll give it another attempt when I'm less distracted.

Books I'm currently reading: 2
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green - I know, I'm a bit slack. I raced out and got a copy the day it was released here and expected to devour it in a few hours. Instead I've decided to savour the experience and I'm only reading two chapters a night. It's actually really nice and I've found myself reflecting more on what I'm reading than just trying to get to the end.

Everything's Eventual - Stephen King.


Trying something new for 30 days
So in my last Mixed Bag post, I shared this video and I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I feel like I'm in a bit of a blogging rut lately (hence lack of action around here) and I've thinking about how a project like this could be beneficial in a number of ways (both in a blogging and personal sense). 30 days is a good amount of time to committ to breaking an old habit, or trying something different like Matt Cutts suggests in the video.

I'd like to try something new (for me) for the next 30 days. In February, I want to take a photo every day, and share them on here. Hopefully this will be a fun way to share a little glimpse of my day or my life with you all. If I can successfully stick to this, I'd like to try test-driving a new habit (or breaking an old one) and share my results on here.

What books did you read in January? What were your favourites?

7 comments:

Jordyn said...

Books read in January:

*Girl Meets Boy (anthology): Really, really not what I expected. Didn't like it.
*The Fault In Our Stars: Mixed feelings on this one. What it did right it did REALLY REALLY right, but what it did wrong really really bugged me.
*Girl Saves Boy: Liked it.
*Bittersweet: <3 <3
*You Are Not Here: Sort of eh, although the few poems that were just flat-out brilliant bumped it up to 3 stars for me.
*Shatter Me: Though there were a few things that really bugged me and I'm worried about the next novel, I absolutely loved this one. My favorite of the month for sure.
*The Babysitter Murders: So creepy and freaky. Good.
*What Did I Do Wrong?: I really liked it but have some mixed feelings on it.
*Chopsticks: Liked it, but less than many people seem to.

Lux said...

Not to worry, you’re not the only one who’s caught the wrong train because they’re too busy reading!

In January I read:
Touch of Power – Maria V. Snyder
The Invention of Hugo Cabret – Brian Selznick
Fated – Sarah Alderson
Cinder – Marissa Meyer
The Fault in Our Stars – John Green
Everneath – Brodi Ashton
The Future of Us – Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
And I’m currently reading Geektastic – edited by Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci

I read The Invention of Hugo Cabret because I really wanted to see the movie, but always like to read the book first. The book and movie are both wonderful! The only book I read this month that I really didn’t like was Touch of Power, veeery disappointed. Cinder and The Fault in Our Stars were my favourite books from January!

Miss Friday said...

Jordyn - ohhh I'm excited to read more of TFioS. The thing that's hard for me is that I love, love, love John Green as a person/vlogger/general awesome-sauce dude that I think it can, at times, cloud how I read his work. And have heard so many good things about Shatter Me - glad you enjoyed it so much, I'll have to add it to my to-read list!

Lux - hahaha, it was quite funny (didn't even have my headphones in and still didn't realise til I was way, way on the other side of town).
Hope you enjoy Geektastic - I read it a while back and it had some great stories!

Bee said...

I read a few books this Jan. Not as many as I'd have liked but more than I did for December. My favourite read among them was Ilsa J Bick's Drowning Instinct - so, so good.

Thanks for sharing.

Jillian said...

10 books? So awesome! Plus, those books sound like they were all wonderful. Can't wait to read Legend!

Nomes said...

I did a very similar post :)

i have been meaning to read a Joe Hill books for a while.

Love the idea of this, I started mine for the same reason too, gets me out of always feeling lkike i have not mentioned books/reviewed them.

I love that 30 day thing. Although I am yet to implement it :)

Luxembourg said...

I've read the book "SPEAK" and seen the movie. It is an excellent and realistic portrait of a young woman's response to sexual assault. Far more women keep date rape situations to themselves than ever tell. And the way she just escaped inside herself I think was very realistic.

Post a Comment