Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012 Blogging & Reading Resolutions

source: we ♥ it

Yes, I am one of those people who get stupidly excited as it gets closer to New Year's and makes lots of grand plans and resolutions. Whether or not I actually achieve them is another story completely ...

Anyway, I thought I'd start with a quick look back at my 2011 Blogging and Reading Resolutions:

Read 100 books – Done! Whilst I didn’t beat my 133 total from 2010, I pulled a decent 115 this year. This was made up predominantly of YA fiction, but also included a number of biographies and personal fiction (Tori Spelling, Rob Lowe, Anthony Bourdain, Mindy Kaling and Tina Fey) and some adult fiction.

Post more consistently – eeeep, definitely not done! Despite good intentions, my posting schedule this year (especially over the last couple of months) was sporadic at best. The big difference in 2011 was that I was working full-time, which obviously gives me less blogging time.

Write higher-quality reviews – ehhh, whilst I think I improved slightly in quality from 2010, I still think my 2011 reviews could have been more polished.

Comment more – another area I did not do so well in. I think I was even worse in 2011 than in 2010 at commenting! I do feel like my Google Reader is a bit out of control and I don’t manage it as well as I should. I’d like to do a bit of a clean-up and really make the effort with leaving comments on posts I enjoy or that get me thinking – and also ensure that I leave well-thought comments instead of just ‘great review’.

Attend more literary events – yay, something I improved in! In 2011, I was fortunate enough to attend Reading Matters, the Emerging Writers Festival, Melbourne Writers Festival (school’s program) and a Booktalkers event at the State Library.

And now for 2012 (actually given my mixed success with the 2011 resolutions, they are somewhat similar)

Read 120 books - I want to step it up a bit and try and read more than I did in 2011. I'd also like to keep trying to move out of my reading comfort zone (contemporary YA) a little bit more - so feel free to recommend me books you think I'd like.

Making better use of my blogging time - I'm going to have less 'free' time in 2012, as not only am I working full-time, but I've also decided to take on further study (yay!). I'd still like to keep going with My Girl Friday and do to this, I want to work on making better use of my blogging time (as right now, about 80% of it involves faffing about on the internet and 20% involves actually writing ....). I think a blogging calendar and the scheduling assistant will become my new best friends.

Expand my blogging horizons - for those of you who are long-time readers (all five of you), you might remember I used to have baking and food posts. Well, I'm determined to bring this back in 2012 (hey, my tagline has always been fiction, film and food), as well as starting to write more about film (my other love), Melbourne and other things that interest me (and that I think you guys will like to).

Write better quality posts and invest time and effort into creating pieces I'm truly proud of - no explanation needed.

Lovely readers, I'd like to know what your 2012 resolutions are (blogging, reading, personal).
Feel free to share in the comments!

2 comments:

Mel said...

The new layout looks good.
I think you've done a great job with both your blog and your resolutions. I can't believe you read so many books!
One of my resolutions is to read more books as well as reading a variety of genres.
I hardly ever complete my resolutions. Good luck with yours. I can't wait to see what your blog brings in 2012. :)

Miss Friday said...

Thanks Mel - wishing you all the best with your own resolutions (especially with reading more!) xo

Post a Comment