Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Publishers' Showcase at State Library of Victoria: Part 2

Sorry, I know I promised to posting Part 2 of the Publishers' Showcase on Wednesday, but I decided to bake whoopie pies for the first time and it turned into a far lengthier (and messier) project than I'd expected. Anyway, onto the recap of events:


Random House Australia: presented by Michael Pryor and Rhiannon Hart


Michael is the author of the Laws of Magic series (if you're interested in historical/fantasy/comedy/adenture books for young adults, definitely check them out as they are fantastic!) and the first book Extinction Gambit in his new series, The Extraordinaires is about to be released. This is Michael's 29th book (!!!) and it's about Kingsley Ward, an aspiring escapologist.

Michael's 30th book is also being published by Random House in April 2-12. It's called 10 Futures and it's a sci-fi novel for young adults comprising of ten linked stories (and I have to admit, as someone who does not read sci-fi, I was really intrigued by the sound of this book!).

Finally Michael shared another upcoming Random House title, Wonder by R.J Palacio. Michael suggested it as being well-suited to early teens and likened it to Holes and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.


Rhiannon Hart then got up and spoke a little about her debut novel, Blood Song, which was published in September this year. It's the first title in her trilogy (to be followed by Blood Storm in August next year and Blood Queen in 2013).

Penguin: presented by Erin Wamala
Legend - Marie Lu (publishing in December)
Crossed - Ally Condie (published November 2011)
Disharmony - Leah Giarratano
Part thriller, part dystopian and part fantasy, Leah is a published adult author and a clinical psychologist.
The Reluctant Hallelujah - Gabrielle Williams (February 2012) - I am already super excited for this.
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green (publishing January 11, 2012) - no words, just !!!!!!!!!!

Text Publishing: presented by Alison Arnold

All I Ever Wanted - Vikki Wakefield (July 2011) - one of my favourites from this year and Vikki has a second novel coming out in mid 2012 so stay tuned.
The Bridge - Jane Higgons (August 2011) - the 2010 winner of the Text Prize.
Queen of the Night - Leanne Hall (February 2012) - another one I am very eagerly anticipating.
Shadows - Paula Weston (June 2012) - angels in a coastal town

Harper Collins: presented by Lisa Berryman

Act of Faith - Kelly Gardner (July 2011) - historical fiction with a sequel to come in 2012.
Silvermay - James Maloney (January 2011 and winner of the Golden Inky)
The Industry - Rose Foster (2012) a psychological thriller set in Melbourne (two big ticks from me), and Rose is a screenwriting student at RMIT.
Mountain Wolf - Roseanne Hawk (2012) looks at children trafficking in Pakistan.

Allen & Unwin: presented by Eva Mills

Ship Kings 1 - The Coming of the Whirlpool: Andrew McGahan (November 2011)
Only, Ever, Always: Penni Russon (August 2011)
Erebos: Ursula Poznarski (March 2012) - a thriller about "power, manipulation and revenge" translated from the original German publication. It sounded amazing and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy in 2012.
The Ink Bridge: Neil Grant (March 2012) - the story of a refugee boy on a journey from Afghanistan.

Whew! That's a lot of books to look forward to! I loved that there are so many brilliant Australian titles coming out next year, and it was great to see so many genres covered in the Showcase. Thanks again to Adele - not only for inviting me, but for organising such a fantastic event.

3 comments:

Adele said...

Thank you for coming! And also for such a thorough rundown of the event. So many amazing titles coming out in 2012. Which one are you most looking forward to that you hadn't heard about prior to that evening?

Steph said...

Hi Adele,

I can't believe I didn't realise Cath had a new book on the way (how slow am I?) so I am very excited for that. Also really liked the sound of Erebos, The Industry and Broken, none of which I'd heard of before and will definitely be checking out in 2012.

Marg said...

I was so disappointed that I couldn't make this night. I had booked in but then my son had a compulsory school event!

Oh well. Thank goodness for comprehensive wrap ups like yours!

Post a Comment