Sunday, August 28, 2011

Melbourne Bookish Events - September

image source: we ♥ it

Hi friends - I just wanted to take a few minutes to share some of the exciting literary events coming up in my lovely home city, Melbourne. Late August and September are especially excellent for all things bookish, and as you can see below, there is quite a range of events to cater to all reading interests (though I've chose to highlight those especially relevant to readers of YA).

2011 Melbourne Writers Festival
The biggest annual literary event in Melbourne! Running from August 25th  to September 1st, the festival has events for all interests - including an amazing schools program (which is actually open to all). Check out the huge range of talks, workshops and screenings at the festival homepage.

2011 Ballarat Writers Festival
Running on the 2nd and 3rd of September is the Ballarat Writers Festival - which is exclusively dedicated to childrens and young adult literature! Featuring authors such as Maureen McCarthy, Penni Russon, Gabrielle Williams, Steph Bowe and Leanne Hall (to name just a few), this two-day festival is jam-packed with literary awesomeness! You can read the program here and purchase tickets here.

A Thousand Words Festival
Held at Northcote Town Hall on September 23 and 24, this is the second year of the Thousand Words Festival. I am extremely bummed out that I will be missing this (as I will be overseas), so I urge all my Melbournian readers to attend on my behalf and take lots of notes and photos to share! The festival has a fantastic line-up of local authors, booksellers and bloggers including Michael Pryor, Leanne Hall, Holly Harper, Andrew McDonald, Megan Burke, Fiona Wood, Tim Pegler, Aimee Said & Cath Crowley. Tickets are only $20 per day (!!!) so seriously get cracking and do not miss this! Visit the website for more information.

The Wheeler Centre
There's always something on at the Wheeler Centre! Go check out their calendar for weekly events.

Maggie Stiefvater
Young adult author, Maggie Stiefvater will be in Melbourne in late August/early September. She will be appearing at:
♥ Melbourne Writers Festival (sessions: Why I Read & Meet Maggie Stiefvater (August 29) and Meet Maggie Stiefvater (August 30)
♥ Dymocks Melbourne - September 2nd at 5pm. Free but please RSVP. Go here for more information.
♥ Readings Hawthorn - September 3rd at 10.30am. Free entry but please RSVP. For more information, go here.

Penni Russon
Penni will be launching her newest young adult novel Only, Ever, Always at Eltham Library on September 18th. Go to the YPRL website for more information.

This post is part of Aussie August - a month of sharing all-Australian reviews and content.


1 comments:

Misty said...

WOW I wish I lived closer to Melbourne. I am really jealous. Authors and books events are the one think I wish I didn't miss out on living in the country.

Post a Comment