Sunday, June 12, 2011

Tony Awards Blog-a-Thon - geeking out with Braiden

If you read my twitter, you've probably noticed I spend a lot of time geeking out with fellow theatre-lover & book blogger, Braiden from My Reading Voice (formerly Livin' Thru Arts). I thought it would be fun to share a mini-interview with Braiden about all-things theatre. I also decided to share my answers to the same questions below. Feel free to tell me your answers in the comments!

Braiden:

What are your Top 3 all-time favourite musicals?:
I don't like answering these questions because I take forever deciding. There are so many amazing musicals out there. But for my favourite top 3, I guess I have to say Next To Normal, The Book of Mormon (I know, right?) and mm...Jersey Boys. I would've had In The Heights but there ain't enough room for it. Wicked could've made it there but once it became well-known and everyone started named it the best show ever, it went on a decline for me. But I still love it! Just not as much as I did when it opened on Broadway and also the beginning of its Australian run here in Melbourne. Also I would've included a Lloyd Webber musical.

What show do you think is overrated?:
Into the Woods I guess. It's just strange. I could say Wicked but I just don't want to admit that it is. Anything Sondheim. Don't really like much of his work.

If the theatre Gods bestowed you with a Broadway-ready voice, which role would you most want to play on Broadway and why?
Lately I've found I would most want to play either Mormons, Elder Price or Elder Cunningham. And if neither of those, then Elder McKinley because of his tapdancing role. And if I don't get the opportunity to play a Mormon ever because of my Catholic heritage, then mostly anything Aaron Tveit originated (Frank Abignale Jr., Gabe) so that I could have a band of girls swooning over me and have a voice that's close to awesomeness. I could go on and on but I'll need that Broadway-ready voice now in order to make me stop, until I get a role. Damn you Daniel Radcliffe! You didn't do much. I'd love to be Spiderman though and serve a plate of my amazingness to the evil critics.

You can sing a duet with any Broadway star (past or present) - who would you sing with and what song would you sing?
Yet another one of those questions. I guess I'd sing For Good with the lovely Idina Menzel. I think she was the one that made me fall in love with Wicked and musical theatre wholeheartedly after her stint has Elphaba. She was phenomenal. So that would be meaning I'd be singing to someone with asthma who belted every night just to please her thrilling audiences. And she's the best Maureen :).

Who should take out Best Musical at this year's Tonys?
Who else but Book of Mormon? Big supporter here. They'll take all of their nominations. I was going to say they're the Twilight of the Tony's but I just slapped myself for saying that. I would've converted myself to Mormonism immediately, but being a Mormon is just something I will never do, however I would only for the stage.

Thanks so much to Braiden for taking the time (and in the middle of exam period too!) to answer my questions. Be sure to check out Braiden's blog, My Reading Voice.

My answers:
What are your Top 3 all-time favourite musicals?:
A very tough first question, but I've narrowed it down to Rent, Hair and Cats. Rent is still up there, despite having not seen it performed live as yet, but I'm hoping to see it when I'm in NYC in September (I will pretty much die and go to fan-girl heaven afterwards). Hair was the first show I saw multiple times (I was lucky enough to see the closing performance in Melbourne 2003). Other shows I adore are Spring Awakening, Avenue QHairspray and Xanadu.

What show do you think is overrated?:
I may be forever smited by fellow theatre-lovers and bring down the wrath of Lord ALW, but I'm really not that into Phantom of the Opera. I love most other ALW musicals, but Phantom doesn't do it for me.

If the theatre Gods bestowed you with a Broadway-ready voice, which role would you most want to play on Broadway and why?
It would definitely be a quirky supporting role - someone like Jeannie from Hair or Penny from Hairspray. In real life, I have an awful, awful voice and am completely tone-deaf, so really, I'd be thrilled to be able to sing decently enough to make the chorus!

You can sing a duet with any Broadway star (past or present) - who would you sing with and what song would you sing?
Cheyenne Jackson, no contest. I mean, just look at the guy! I know he plays for the other team but a girl can dream right? And of course, to make this extra awesome, we'd sing something from Xanadu - maybe Suddenly (and he would have to wear the shorts). I feel like this would be a win/win scenario, as not only would I be singing with Cheyenne, we would both be wearing rollerskates.

Who should take out Best Musical at this year's Tonys?
100% agree with Braiden, The Book of Mormon - no contest! Do you need some evidence? Listen to Hello, Hasa Diga Eebowai and I Believe and tell me this show is not Tony-worthy!

3 comments:

Nomes said...

hahahaha

love you guys

weirdly, i don;t do mucsicals and have never even seen any of these (!) i couldn't evenh watch HIRSPRAY (the dvd) to the end. but you make it seem like i am missing out on all the fun...

(even as a kid musicals annoyed me when everyone suddenly stater singing O.o )

okay ~ i feel like i ahould be ashamed of my confession now

anyways, love you guys and please don;t hate (!)

x Nomes

Miss Friday said...

Haha, that's ok Nomes - I know quite a few people who don't do musicals either, which is cool and I definitely, would never, be hating on you :D

salonseeker said...

I have Hair melbourne
never even seen any of these (!) i couldn't evenh watch HIRSPRAY (the dvd) to the end. but you make it seem like i am missing out on all the Melbourne hair

fun...

Post a Comment