Sunday, June 12, 2011

Tony Awards Blog-a-Thon - My Picks

Lin-Manuel Miranda after winning Best Musical for In The Heights
image source: New York Times

The Tonys are kind of my sport. Whilst I don't officially bet or anything (and because no one else in my household really cares about this kind of thing), I wanted to put up my picks for who will walk away with the awards at the ceremony (and I'm interested to see if my judgement was completely blinded by my love for The Book of Mormon). Here are my hopeful picks for tomorrow's winners (I've only looked at the musical categories) - feel free to share your own thoughts/picks in the comments:

Best Musical - The Book of Mormon
Best Book of a Musical - The Book of Mormon
Best Original Score - The Book of MormonBest Revival - How to Succeed in Business With Really Trying (as there are only 2 shows in this category, it's really a 50/50 chance...)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical - Andrew Rannells - The Book of Mormon (tough choice - if Aaron Tveit had been nominated - which I'm still shocked that he wasn't - I would have had my money on him. I was torn between Andrew and his co-star, Josh Gad, but ultimately I think Andrew really holds the show together, so go Elder Price!).

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical - hmm, this was the only category where I wasn't familar with all the shows and actresses nominated. I'm going to say Beth Leavel for Baby It's You, as it's the only category the show has a nomination for. I'm also interested to know why only 4 women are nominated in this category?

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical - Rory O'Malley - The Book of Mormon (Rory plays a tap-dancing, closeted Mormon missionary and has major comic chops and a lot of heart).
Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical - Nikki M. James - The Book of Mormon (Nikki plays the main female role in BoM, but I also love Laura Benanti - though she has won before...)

Best Direction of a Musical - The Book of Mormon
Best Choreography - Anything Goes
Best Orchestrations - The Book of Mormon
Best Scenic Design - The Book of Mormon (check out this video for a behind-the-scenes look at BoM's sets)
Best Costume Design - Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Best Lighting - The Book of Mormon
Best Sound Design - Catch Me If You Can

Also, just for fun - here's my favourite Tony acceptance speech ever - Lin Manuel Miranda winning Best Score for In The Heights in 2008 (one of the most talented lyricist/composers of the noughties). I still tear up a little every time I watch this ...

2 comments:

Braiden said...

Yay! Lets roll it in 1 hour. If I defer for a year next year I am so going to try and get to next years Tonys. But I'll probably just my undergrad done first haha.

Miss Friday said...

Can't wait!!!! Oh you should definitely try and go at some point Braiden, it would be awesome :D

Post a Comment