Tuesday, June 7, 2011

An Ode to Duckie

Yesterday I shared that I was reading Susannah Gora's You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried, which I am loving! If you are a fan of eighties teen movies, especially of the John Hughes variety, I urge you to run (not walk) and find a copy, because it is fantastic!

I decided, just for fun, to dedicate an entire post to one of my all-time favourite John Hughes characters, Phil 'Duckie' Dale (played by Jon Cryer in Pretty in Pink). It's kind of funny, whilst Pretty in Pink isn't my favourite Hughes film, it's one I rewatch the most, largely because of Duckie.
Despite 30+ viewings, I still get bummed out by the ending (even though I understand why the studio wanted to change it and I kind of understand the whole Blane thing, but I still feel like Duckie gets shafted), so I think Duckie is certainly deserving of a picspam here.












Team Duckie!

And a video:

Feel free to share your favourite Duckie-isms in the comments!

5 comments:

Mel said...

I haven't watched Pretty in Pink for a while but Duckie was definitely my favourite character. He is just the best. :)

Andi B. Goode said...

Of course you know I'm a Duckie gal myself. Though as I reflect upon my teen years, I understand Andie a bit more - I mean, Duckie is great but he might be a little TOO eager, you know? And Andie is obviously the kind of girl who embarrasses easily...I think Duckie would be a real catch when he grew up a little (but I'm sure he'd still be a lot of fun...just less stalkery ;]) and I like to think that maybe Andie matured, too, and they got together eventually. Anyway, I'm just going to look at these pictures a little longer. ;]
-Andi x

Miss Friday said...

Mel - isn't he awesome? ♥

Andi - I know what you mean - and I tend to agree, I think he would be a total catch in college (when girls would appreciate his awesome-ness). I'm very fickle though - whilst I don't like the Andi/Blane ending, I'm not sure if I'd want him to end up with Andi at the end of PiP either (in my ideal world, they would go to prom together as friends and Andi would slowly realise - from that beautiful/nervous hand-holding shot, that they will eventually end up together, not necessairly pashing in front on her car that night). Glad you enjoyed the pictures!

Aimee said...

Oh, the Duckman! I must admit that the first time I watched PiP (we're talking wayway back, like at the movies), I was more of a Blane fan (ahem, it was the 80s and Andrew McCarthy was very non-threatening...I can't think of any other excuses for that lapse in taste), but the older I get the more I appreciate Duckie's eager charm.

Miss Friday said...

Aimee - I love Andrew in St Elmos Fire (moody, broody emo Kevin!), but am all about Duckie in PiP!

Post a Comment