Friday, May 6, 2011

Mixed Bag #37

Good morning friends! Here is my weekly collection of links to things that have amused or interested me recently. I hope you enjoy them:

image source: we ♥ it

♥ The Text Prize for Young Adult and Children's Writing is now accepting for submissions (until June 3rd - so Aussies, get cracking!).

Random House is having a pretty awesome book trailer contest, the Teen Book Video Awards, open to those still in school (unfortunately it has now been over five years since I left high school - wow I feel old - so all you young 'uns go enter for me).

♥ So far I've read 1 out of the 4 Books to Read Before You Die list on The Book Lantern, and will definitely have to add the others to my to-read pile.

♥ Oh mah gawd - I love this post from Cracked If Classic Movies Were Remade By Michael Bay (or if you hate clicking through slides like me, ONTD has the full list).

♥ Check out Gala Darling's list of 33 Movies to Watch When You're Sad, Glum or Bummed Out. My personal choices are Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Clueless and Grease (but I would also include what is definitely lacking from the list, my ultimate cinematic comforter - John Hughes films!!! Or Earth Girls are Easy).

♥ A surprising and beautiful letter from Iggy Pop to a fan. This really made my day earlier this week.

Video time: One of my favourite opening credits ever, from Adventures in Babysitting (sorry, the quality isn't great). I love this sequence!

3 comments:

kate.o.d said...

that letter is just fab. i loved it - thanks for posting it.

Jillian said...

"33 movies to watch when you're sad"

thank you for that list. I'm a sucker for movies that somehow cheer you up in times of great need. Haha

Miss Friday said...

Kate - you're welcome, the letter made me smile so much :)

Jillian - no worries, I also love movies that cheer you up!

Post a Comment