Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Piper's Son Playlist

I had a lot of fun putting together my Necromancer Playlist, so I decided to have another go, this time making one for an Australian book. I'm sure you're all aware I'm a huge fan of Melina Marchetta and I adored The Piper's Son (and I was lucky enough to get to hear Melina talk about her work in person at the MWF last year). If you've read the novel, you'll know that music plays an important role throughout the story, and in a lot of ways, is the strong that ties Tom, Georgie, the Finch-Mackees and their friends together. So I've picked out some of my favourite (and most fitting songs from the book) for you to enjoy below.



1. How to Make Gravy - Paul Kelly
For the Finch-McKee family



"Hello Dom, it's Joe here, I hope you're keeping well
It's the 21st of December, and now they're ringing the last bells
If I get good behaviour, I'll be out of here by July
Won't you kiss my kids on Christmas Day, please don't let 'em cry for me"

2. Samson - Regina Spektor
For Georgie and Sam


"You are my sweetest downfall
I loved you first , I loved you first"

3. London Still - The Waifs
For Siobhan


"You know it’s okay
I’m kinda happy here for now
I think I've finally grown up
And got myself a love of now
And if I ever come home
And I, I think I will
I hope you're gonna wanna hang at my place on Sunday still
Oh yeah I hope you will
Cause I'm in London still"

4. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
For Tom Finch and Bill Mackee


"How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
A complete unknown?
Like a rolling stone"

5. If I Had A Boat - Lyle Lovett
For Dominic and Jacinta


"And we could all together
Go out on the ocean
Me upon my pony on my boat"

6. Stop Draggin' My Heart - Stevie Nicks with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Tara's personalised ringtone for Tom


"So you've had a little trouble in town
Now you're keeping some demons down
Stop draggin' my...
Stop draggin' my...
Stop draggin' my heart around"

7. 32 Flavors - Ani DiFranco
For Tara Finke


"I am thirty-two flavors and then some
and I'm beyond your peripheral vision
so you might want to turn your head
cause someday you're going to get hungry
and eat most of the words you just said"

8. Here If You Want - The Waifs


"sometimes it feels
like nobody knows
you wanna be alone now
hidden from view
feels as though the whole world
is comin' for you"

9. The Blower's Daughter - Damien Rice


"And so it is
Just like you said it should be
We'll both forget the breeze
Most of the time"

10. Union City Blue - Blondie



"Oh, oh, what are we gonna do?
Union, Union, Union City blue"

6 comments:

Braiden said...

It looks like you've put a lot of thought into this. Good work!

Cass (Words on Paper) said...

Great picks! While I haven't read the book yet, I'm no stranger to the atmosphere that is meant to permeate the book, and dude, you've captured it all!

Missie said...

Mackee is mine! I'd love to make out with him to this playlist. It's awesome. :P

Miss Friday said...

Braiden - thanks! I've been tinkering with it in dribs and drabs for about a week :)

Cass - thank you! You should definitely read it though when you get the chance, it's a great book.

Missie - hahaha thanks :)

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

I think I love you. I'm on my downstairs comp right now but when I get upstairs I will be back and I'll listen to every one of these songs because those lyrics are just incredible and seem to suit the novel so well. Arghh, thanks for this post, it totally rocks!!!

Miss Friday said...

Awwww, that's so sweet of you to say Audrey - I'm glad you like it!

Post a Comment