Thursday, February 24, 2011

Snack Size #13

Yiu know the drill now - three mini reviews at 100 words apiece, to give you a teeny taste of each title. Enjoy!

Sweethearts - Sara Zarr
Published by Little, Brown in 2008

Jenna wasn’t always slim, popular and girlfriend of one of the most popular guy’s at school. She used to be Jennifer – bullied mercilessly and her only friend was fellow outcast, Cameron Quick (whose home life was worse than her own) until he vanished. Fast forward a few years and Jennifer becomes Jenna, only to have her world rocked with the return of Cameron. Whilst I found Jenna’s struggle to confront her past an interesting read, I found myself desperate to know more about Cameron and to hear his story. Still Zarr has written an engaging (and slightly haunting) novel.


How to Say Goodbye in Robot - Natalie Standiford
Published by Scholastic, 2010

Wow. This book kind of sucker-punched me and really took me by surprise. Bea and Jonah, two outsiders, start a friendship through a late night radio program. Their relationship is quite lovely and honest and not quite like anything else I’ve read recently. The other aspect that really appealed to me was the shared love of Night Light, the late-night radio show and Standiford does a brilliant job at capturing the dynamics of the listeners (Don Berman, Myrna) and I loved the little community they formed. Full of charming details and moments that will make you smile (or tea up). Read it!!!


What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know - Sonya Sones
Published by Simon & Schuster, 2010

I’m a huge fan of Sonya Sones and adored What My Mother Doesn’t Know, so was really excited to read the follow up from Robin (Murphey’s) point of view. Once again, I fell in love with both the characters (sigh, I adore Sophie and Robin) and Sones’ use of verse. Her writing is so fresh, touching and easy to lose yourself in. This novel focuses around Sophie and Robin’s new relationship and the reaction they receive at school (which seriously breaks my heart each time I re-read it). Through Robin, Sones has captured a really honest and sympathetic young male point of view.

2 comments:

kate.o.d said...

don berman!

Nomes said...

I've read all of these ~ yay me :)

My fave out of them would be the sonya sones one. I JUST ADORED IT.

xo Nomes

Post a Comment