Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Popcorn - John Hughes edition


So I'm in a bit of a reading slump at the moment, so I thought I'd shake things up and write about my other love - movies. I had a lot of fun doing Popcorn mini reviews before Christmas, so here's another batch (and themed of course!) - at one hundred words each.

Sixteen Candles (1984)
Directed by John Hughes
Written by John Hughes

Sixteen Candles is a brilliant coming-of-age story, that certainly holds a special place in my heart. Before the whole My Super Sweet 16 MTV phenomenon, Samantha Baker is just wishing her family would remember her birthday, and her crush, the very-lush Jake Ryan (where, oh where are you now Michael Schoeffling?), to notice her. There’s also major family dysfunction with her older sister’s impending wedding and unwanted affections from Farmer Ted aka The Geek aka Anthony Michael Hall who is so clingy and yet so endearing. What still amazed me about this film is how well John Hughes writes teenagers (especially teen girls).

The Breakfast Club (1985)
Directed by John Hughes
Written by John Hughes

Ok, I’m not even going to down-play it, this is in my top five favourite films ever. Five teenagers, each from a different group at school, spend a Saturday together in detention (which possibly changes their lives – I know it sounds cliché, but I promise it’s not!). The Breakfast Club is this perfect mix of humour and sadness and honesty. It also has a killer soundtrack and Judd Nelson is pretty much the yardstick to measure your troubled-bad-ass-love-interest types against.  This should be compulsive viewing for all high school students and if you haven’t seen it – WATCH IT NOW.
Pretty in Pink (1986)
Directed by Howard Deutch
Written by John Hughes

So whilst JH didn’t direct this, it’s still widely regarded as a John Hughes film. Andi is a girl from a single-parent, working class household and becomes enamoured with Blane, the pretty rich boy (shiny, preppy and a bit boring). Then you have Duckie, who everyone knows is the best character in this film. As much as I enjoy Pretty in Pink, I have some major issues with it – namely the ending (which come on – admit it, it kind of sucks). A recent re-watch after spotting some similarities with The Duff, reminded me the continuing influence of John Hughes.

5 comments:

Adele said...

Have you seen Fast Times at Ridgemont High or Hughes other teen movie - Reach the Rock (completely diff from his other stuff)?

Miss Friday said...

Adele - I have seen Fast Times (though not for maybe 2 years) but haven't seen Reach the Rock - I've just looked it up, sounds really interesting though apparently not released on DVD which is a shame.

I think I'm going to have to a Part 2, because I like Some Kind of Wonderful a lot and it never seems to get enough love.

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

Loveeeeeeeeeeeee The Breakfast Club! Definitely in my top ten movies of all time :)

Miss Friday said...

Aww yay Nic, I love it too!

Jillian said...

I loved Sixteen Candles! Do you have a particular favorite scene from there? For some reason, that last scene where they kiss while the cake still has lit candles always sticks out to me! So lovely.

Post a Comment