Tuesday, December 28, 2010

PS Five Challenge - 5 Great Author Moments

I've been taking part in Persnickety Snark's Five Challenge, leading up to the New Year. Today's picks was for Top 5 Author (in the flesh) moments. I've taken this kind-of loosely and have included authors I have seen speak (at writings festivals) but didn't exactly meet this year ....

Kathy Charles at the Wheeler Centre - Kathy was so lovely and nice, even though I was supremely awkward. She signed my copy of Hollywood Ending and totally made my night!


Steph Bowe and Shirley Marr at the Melbourne Writers Festival - I got to meet both Steph and Shirley briefly after their panel at the MWF. Both were really nice (even if I was super awkward - seeing a pattern here?) and I had my copy of Fury signed by Shirley (I didn't have a copy of Girl Saves Boy on me, and apparently was having a dumb moment and didn't think to buy a second copy from the bookstore behind me to get it signed!).


Amra Pajalic and Robyn Bavati at the MWF (thanks to Megan!)  - this was fantastic and I only went by chance (as Megan unfortunately couldn't go and gave me her ticket) but was not only a really insightful panel but also introduced me to the writing of two great authors I hadn't read before. I also spoke to Amra briefly afterwards when she admired my shoes!


Jaclyn Moriarty and Lili Wilkinson (again at the MWF - seriously, it was such a good selection of authors this year!). A really fun panel and both women spoke so well and gave excellent insight into their writing process and characters - loved it!


Melina Marchetta (MWF) was an incredible experience. Having been a fan of her writing for so long (I read Looking for Alibrandi and then finally being able to see her in the flesh and hear her talk about her characters was amazing. Also hearing her quote something I had written (well, at least I'm 98% sure it was me - I feel like "loveable dickhead" isn't something that would be common wording in reviews) was just wow.

6 comments:

Shirley Marr said...

aww Steph, next time me and Steph Bowe should take you out for a milkshake. I think I signed your book with something dumb, but I remember your gorgeous hair and you had a pretty bow in it!

kate.o.d said...

oh i wish i had seen kathy charles. i loved hollywood ending so much. what did she talk about? can't wait til the film comes out...

Bee said...

I'm so jealous. You got to meet Jaclyn Moriarty! I have no author moments to boast of this year.

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

Some awesome authors! Unfortunately none for me this year. Next year I would love to attend the 2 day event at Melbourne Library where Cath Crowley, Melina Marchetta, Kirsty Eagar, Laura Buzo will be attending :)

Miss Friday said...

Shirley - nawww, that sounds lovely! Please come back to Melbourne again soon!

Kate - Kathy was awesome-sauce! I saw her at the Wheeler Centre for a Debut Monday, so it was just a reading and then had a quick chat. Also saw her at the Emerging Writers Festival where she spoke about pimping your work out haha.

Bee - Unfortunately I didn't get to meet her personally, but I did see her speak at a panel and she was lovely! Hopefully you get some nice author-meetings next year :)

Nic - Nawwww, hopefully you get some next year! Ohhh that event sounds amazing, but I think it's a bit out of my budget this year - we'll see - sounds soooo good!

brave chickens said...

I wanted to go MWF but no one would come with me :( Also, some sessions were during school time. Bleh.

Post a Comment