Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Persnickety Snark's Five Challenge - 5 Great Debuts

I'm really excited to be taking part in Persnickety Snark's Daily FIVE Challenge for the rest of December, which you can learn more about here. To kick-start things, Adele is picking 5 Great Debuts in 2010. Here are my picks:


Finding Freia Lockhart - Aimee Said
Walker Books
Published February 2010

Freia Lockhart just wants to fit in at school but her best friend Kate is determined to get in with the popular Bs: Belinda, Bethanee and Brianna. Even Freia knows when she hangs out with the Bs she fits in like a turkey in a flock of flamingos. Kate convinces Freia to audition for the school play so they can 'all hang out together' and meet all the cute guys. Predictably, Freia misses out on a chorus role and instead is assigned to production lighting, with rumoured bad boy Daniel. Freia soon learns first impressions aren’t always correct and when Daniel needs a friend, she risks her reputation and place among the Bs to support him.

This is the first book I reviewed for this blog! I adored this book (and I've been regularly using the brownie recipe - my office was amazed - and hopefully they went out and bought copies of the book!). You can read my full review here.

Fury - Shirley Marr
Blackdog Books
Published May 2010

Eliza Boans has everything.

A big house.
A great education.
A bright future.
So why is she sitting in a police station confessing to murder?

This is such a strong debut! It's so snarky and biting and a bit confronting, but a fantastic read. I was also lucky enough to hear Shirley speak about writing Fury at the Melbourne Writer's Festival (and got to meet her afterwards!). My review of Fury is here.


Girl Saves Boy - Steph Bowe
Text Publishing
Published August 2010

The first time we met, Jewel Valentine saved my life. Isn’t it enough having your very own terminal disease, without your mother dying? Or your father dating your Art teacher? No wonder Sacha Thomas ends up in the lake that Saturday evening…But the real question is: how does he end up in love with Jewel Valentine? With the help of quirky teenage prodigies Little Al and True Grisham, Sacha and Jewel have a crazy adventure, with a little lobster emancipation along the way.
But Sacha’s running out of time, and Jewel has secrets of her own.

Another beautiful debut! Girl Saves Boy is just the right mix of fun, sweetness and honesty. My review is here.

Six Impossible Things - Fiona Wood
Pan Macmillan
Published in 2010

Fourteen-year-old nerd-boy Dan Cereill is not quite coping with a reversal of family fortune, moving house, new school hell, a mother with a failing wedding cake business, a just-out gay dad, and an impossible crush on the girl next door. His life is a mess, but for now he's narrowed it down to just six impossible things...

Ugh, I can't even say how much I adored this without gushing like a crazy person! I loved it! My full review of Six Impossible Things is here.





This is Shyness - Leanne Hall
Text Publishing
Published in August 2010

A guy who howls. A girl on a mission to forget.
In the suburb of Shyness, where the sun doesn’t rise and the border crackles with a strange energy, Wolfboy meets a stranger at the Diabetic Hotel. She tells him her name is Wildgirl, and she dares him to be her guide through the endless night. But then they are mugged by the sugar-crazed Kidds. And what plays out is moving, reckless…dangerous. There are things that can only be said in the dark. And one long night is time enough to change your life.

Oh Text, you're on a roll! They have been publishing so much fantastic Australian young adult literature, including the Text Prize winners, like This is Shyness. This is an amazing read - not only a great adventure narrative, but is so funny and charming. Read my full review here.

8 comments:

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

Great picks although I have only read 2 on the list. I plan on reading them all though. Just finished This Is Shyness and WOW what an incredible book :)

Girl Friday said...

Nic - Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed it - I thought it was fantastic!!!

Cass (Words on Paper) said...

I hope to tackle these books in 2011. I'm pushing myself to read more Aussie lit, because I did not read all that much this year. (3) SHAME!!

God, but I've heard so many good things about all of these. Just posted up my list, too!

Megan Burke said...

oooohhhh I was going to buy FFL the other day!

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

i haven't read any of these :( but i've heard great things about some of these, esp. Girl Saves Boy and Six Impossible Things (when it comes out in Canada!) great list!

Jordyn said...

I can't wait for Girl Saves Boy to be released in the US!!!!

Nomes said...

i really want ti track down a copy of FFL ~ loved your review for that one! awesome picks

Aimee said...

Thanks so much, Steph - I'm most honoured to be included on this list. Look forward to reading more of your reviews in 2011 (and maybe even meeting you in person!).

Post a Comment