Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Snack Size #11

Dancing in the Dark - Robyn Bavati
Publisher - Penguin Australia, 2010
300 pages

Raised in an Orthodox Jewish household, Ditty’s life revolves around her family and her faith. However when she discovers a passion for dance, her sense of self and all she believes in will come into question as she chooses to keep her dancing a secret and risk her place in the community. I was fascinated to about a lifestyle and religion so different from my own upbringing, and yet I felt that idea of questioning everything you’ve been taught to believe in and the journey of finding your own place in the world are certainly universal. A worthy read.




Mama's Song - Ben Beaton
Publisher - Black Dog Books, 2010

Eighteen year old Georgina finds herself alone in a small country town, after giving birth to a daughter in Mama’s Song. Though determined to take on the world alone, Georgina finds a surprising support system in hospital. I adored Mama’s Song – it’s touching and lovely, and quite a refreshing look at teen pregnancy (particularly the realities of life post-birth) in young adult literature. Beaton is a thoughtful writer who gives a sensitive and insightful look into such an important experience and really captures that moment when you make your first truly adult decision and the consequences it can bring.



Loving Richard Feynman - Penny Tangey
Publisher - UQP 2009

203 pages

Through a series of letters to deceased physicist Richard Feyman, Catherine learns to deal with the breakdown of her parent’s marriage, fledgling friendships, mathletes and Bitch-Face Renee. Catherine is a brilliant character – she’s so funny (without always meaning to be), her observations absolutely crack me up and I love that she’s relatively proud of her academic aptitude. Her social awkwardness is realistic and endearing (I feel like Catherine could have gone the other way into Tracey Flick territory but Penny’s humour makes Catherine likeable). This is such a funny and enjoyable read, I can’t recommend Loving Richard Feynman enough! “A box of nerdish delights”.

5 comments:

Nomes said...

these are great - I agree with Richard feynman - such a funny read! And I haven't read the other two but it sounds like I should!

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

Dancing in the dark sounds really good!

Cass (Words on Paper) said...

Haven't heard of Mama's Song and Loving Richard Feyman, but I'm reading Dancing in the Dark right now. It's pretty good so far, and that issue - whether those beliefs and customs forced upon you are truly right for you - are really pinned down well. :) I think I like this "snack size" approach every now and again. Very good approach if you're behind on reviews, eh?

Good Golly Miss Holly said...

you've won an award at my blog!

Girl Friday said...

Nomes - thanks! Yes, I really enjoyed both of those books

Nic - It is! Would definitely recommend it

Cass - Glad you're enjoying Dancing in the Dark! I try to do mini-reviews once every few weeks to change things up a bit haha

Holly - oh wow, thank you!

Post a Comment