Saturday, October 2, 2010

NaNoWriMo 2010 - One Month to go

image source: we ♥ it

So the NaNoWriMo website and forums for 2010 will be up and running in a couple of hours. For those of you who don't know what Nano is, here's the concept in a nutshell - during the month of November, you are encouraged/challenged to write a novel with at least a 50,000 word count. The work must be new (though I know a few people who have used it to re-write an older story they weren't happy with). The website also has a great forum, which is really handy for asking very specific character questions, or getting ideas, or finding other people in your area also participating in Nano.

So who will be Nano-ing this year? Last year was my first Nano and I didn't do as well as I'd hoped (I wrote about 15,000 words - started strong then got stuck and frustrated. But hey, I figure that's 15,000 words on a story I wouldn't have gotten down otherwise and I'd still like to come back to it at some point).
October is generally used as the planning month. Last year, I did minimal planning, though I feel like this year I might even have a shot at finishing. The idea I'm probably going to use is one I got halfway through Nano last year and has stuck with me then since (that's a good sign, right?)

Will you be participating in NaNoWriMo this year? Feel free to add me and we can encourage each other as Nano starts (no really, I need all the pushing I can get!)

3 comments:

Nomes said...

Oh - I'm going to do it but had no idea you sign up, haha. i'll have to check it out some time next week - have a busy weekend. I'll add you for sure!

x

brave chickens said...

I'd love to do NaNo but until I finish school I don't think I have the time, especially because November is exam and assessment month On top of that, I need to finish a horrible 4000 word essay. *weep*

Girl Friday said...

Nomes - yeah I didn't realise that at first either, but it's actually handy to track your progress and the forums are good for keeping you motivated!

Brave Chickens - Awww that's the bad thing about November - it's always so busy! Ah well, you could always do your own nano during another month

Post a Comment