Thursday, August 12, 2010

Snack Size Reviews #8

Once again I have a batch of handy, dandy mini-reviews (at only 100 words each) for your reading pleasure! Enjoy!

The Lonely Hearts Club - Elizabeth Eulberg
Publisher: Penguin (in Australia)
Date: May 2010
Length: 300 pages

Penny Lane has sworn off boys. She’s sick of dating and tired of watching her friends change once they update their relationship status. So she starts a Lonely Hearts Club, where single girls at her school can hang out and support each other. Though sometimes found the general attitude of the female characters towards teenage boys to be a bit extreme (basically suggesting that all guys are jerks), I liked the emphasis on positive female friendships and it has a good message at heart. Eulberg’s writing style is pleasant to read and overall The Lonely Hearts Club is a fun novel with plenty of Beatles references.


Pretty Little Liars - Sara Shepard
Publisher: Harper Collins (TV tie-in edition)
Date: June 2010
Length: 304 pages

It’s been four years since Alison DiLaurentis, the Queen Bee of Rosewood Day, disappeared. Her four former best friends have all moved on. That is, until now, as someone is intent on bringing the girls’ long-hidden secrets to light - secrets known only by Alison. I can see why this series has become so popular – Shepard manages to achieve the right level of snark, sass and suspense to create an intriguing, pop-culture-savvy YA drama. Pretty Little Liars reminds me of Gossip Girl meets early Desperate Housewives. For me it was definitely a guilty-pleasure read and will sneak in Flawless soon.


Dreamland - Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Penguin
Date: 2004
Length: 256 pages

Caitlin has never been able to measure up to her beloved older sister, Cass. After Cass disappears, Caitlin turns to the mysterious Rogerson Briscoe to help fill a number of voids in her new life. Ultimately Dreamland is the story of an abusive high-school relationship. It’s something I don’t think I’ve read much about before in YA, and Dessen mostly succeeds in handling the topic with insight and sensitivity. Dreamland is confronting and hard to read at times, mostly because of it’s realistic handling of domestic violence and drug use (without becoming an ‘issue’ novel). Good, early Dessen but not on my favourites.

3 comments:

Nomes said...

i love reading your snack size reviews.

i havent read any of these yet, but have seen them around. not sure i'll track down the sarah dessen (my library doesnt have it).

is pretty little liars coming to australia? the tv show? it's probably something that would be a guilty pleasure for me too :)

Girl Friday said...

Awww, thanks Nomes!

As I said, Dreamland isn't my favourite Dessen and a bit darker than most of her others, but still worth a read.

I hope PLL comes here! From having read the first book I can see why they adapted it for TV and think it would work really well - like Gossip Girl does.

Espana said...

Simply incredible. I hardly ever had anything bad to say about Sarah Dessen. Her words never simply just tell a story. I always can gather much more about myself from my reactions to these works. Already I can't wait for her next one. I don't see anyone reading this without having some sort of bond to the characters and the situation presented in Dreamland, whether or not you've been there.

Post a Comment