Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Zombie Week - Waiting on Wednesday


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly book meme hosted by Jill of Breaking the Spine to "spotlight upcoming releases".

Zombies vs Unicorns - Holly Black & Justine Larbalestier (editors)
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Australian Release Date: September 21st, 2010

It's a question as old as time itself: which is better, the zombie or the unicorn? In this anthology, edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier (unicorn and zombie, respectively), strong arguments are made for both sides in the form of short stories. Half of the stories portray the strengths--for good and evil--of unicorns and half show the good (and really, really bad-ass) side of zombies.

Contributors include many bestselling teen authors, including Cassandra Clare, Libba Bray, Maureen Johnson, Meg Cabot, Scott Westerfeld, and Margo Lanagan. This anthology will have everyone asking: Team Zombie or Team Unicorn?

Ok, so of course I'm totally biased and will be Team Zombie, but am really looking forward to reading this and finding out which YA authors are fellow zombie-lovers. I'm not usually a huge fan of anthologies, but with all the YA-authory goodness, this sounds like a really fun read.

Rot and Ruin - Jonathan Maberry
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Australian Release Date: October 5, 2010

A teenager grows up in a post-apocalypic, zombie-infested America.
Reviews from Amazon: "This is a romping, stomping adventure. And while most zombie novels are all about the brains, this one has a heart as well.? With the dead prowling all around, fifteen-year-old Benny Imura learns the bittersweet lessons of life, love, and family in the great Rot & Ruin.? Anyone with a pulse will enjoy this novel, and anyone with a brain will find plenty of food for thought inside."--Michael Northrop, author of Gentlemen
"George Romero meets The Catcher in the Rye in this poignant and moving coming of age novel set during zombie times." --Nancy Holder, New York Times bestselling author of Wicked and Possessions

Wow. Definitely sounds like my kind of story. I'm especially looking forward to a zombie YA novel with a male protagonist as every other story in the genre, that I've read so far, has been predominatly from a female point of view.
 
What upcoming releases are you eagerly anticipating?

13 comments:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Oooh, zombie week!! i love it!!

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

Ooooh, I gotta say, zombies are not my thing, but I hope you enjoy these when you get them! The cover on rot and ruin is freaking me out already! lol!

My WoW is up on my blog. :)

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Very intriguing...sounds like fun!

Here's mine:

http://chezraine.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/waiting-on-wednesday-18/

lost.in.stories said...

Zombie vs. Unicorns should be a good read, I'm definitely team Unicorns, they're so pretty. I love the cover.

Cass said...

Both of those are on my wishlist. They both look and sound great. I'm team unicorn too (also for the same reason as "lost.in.stories"). I'm not into ZOMBIES, but I am into books that read well, so I hope I enjoy both of them.

This week I am waiting on Crossing the Tracks by Barbara Stuber.

Manga Maniac said...

I love zombie books! Rot & Ruin is on my list, too.

My WOW is here -

Manga Maniac Cafe

teamouse said...

These both look so good! I need some more zombie (and unicorn)in my life. :)

Mine's here if you're interested. :)

GABY said...

Rot and Ruin sounds nice!

My WoW

jonathanmaberry said...

I hope you all enjoy ROT & RUIN. It's was a lot of fun to write and I've gotten such wonderful feedback already from folks who have read the advance copies. My publisher has taken to calling it the 'zombie novel with heart'.

I'm currently writing the sequel, DUST & DECAY.

Alayne said...

Ooh I'm a fan of the zombie theme! :) My WOW is at The Crowded Leaf.

Aimee said...

Great picks! I've seen both of these a couple times now and they look like good books. My WoW is here

RachaelfromNJ said...

I want to read Zombies Vs Unicorns so bad! Love the zomie theme! LOL :)

My WoW is here.

Girl Friday said...

Thanks for all the comment-love everyone! I'm trying to check out all of your WOW's today.

And thanks so much for stopping by Jonathan - am really excited for Rot and Ruin (and a sequel! even better!)

Post a Comment