Sunday, July 4, 2010

Snack Size Reviews #5

You know the drill now - three tasty, bite-sized reviews at 100 words apiece. No theme this week though.

Frannie in Pieces - Delia Ephron
HarperTeen, 2007
374 pages

After the sudden death of her father, Frannie discovers a beautiful, intricate handmade puzzle left behind in his workshop. The puzzle gives her new insight into his life (and his secrets), and she also discovers the ability to be able to be transported into the puzzle’s world. I think Frannie in Pieces is quite a fun, magical idea which unfortunately was not executed to it’s full potential. I actually preferred Frannie ‘normal’ scenes - like her time as an arts counsellor at the local summer camp which gave a stronger insight into her personality and (I felt) helped her deal with her father’s death better than puzzle-land.


Sticky Fingers
- Niki Burnham
Simon Pulse, 2005
274 pages

High school senior, Jenna, works hard to maintain a perfect life – incredible boyfriend, great best friend, supportive parents and excellent grades. Then, she’s accepted into Harvard and cracks start to appear. Despite her previously sound decision-making, Jenna is torn between her best friend and boyfriend, and takes a risk at a life-altering party. I had trouble immersing myself in Sticky Fingers – whilst it deals with important issues like peer pressure, drinking and the dangers of date rape, I felt Burnham makes it into an obvious ‘message narrative’ full of morality reminders, instead of exploring the issues (and consequences) in a more well-rounded way.

Whip It! (originally published as Derby Girl) - Shauna Cross
Published by Square Fish, 2009
256 pages

Bliss Cavendish feels trapped in Bodeen, a small and apparently uncultured Texan town, where she’s stuck waiting tables for her vapid classmates and pushed in pageants by her former beauty queen mother. That is until she secretly joins the local roller derby league, transforming into Babe Ruthless, a kick-arse, fast-skating jammer on the track. Though I already knew the plot from the film, there were subtle differences. Cross gives Bliss a distinctive voice, and writes a text full of memorable pop-cultural references, slang and an honest portrayal of teen issues. A fun read about a girl who doesn’t fit the cookie-cutter, all-American teen mould.

10 comments:

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

I really want to read Whip It. I thought the movie was a lot of fun!

Girl Friday said...

Leanna - I'd definitely recommend it, it's a lot of fun and the film has kept very close to the novel :)

Nomes (inkcrush) said...

whip it sounds awesome!

The only thing I liked about Sticky Fingers was the cover! haha. From the back blurb, I thought the big event would be the inciting incident - instead it was the climax - so I kept waiting for something to happen...

Girl Friday said...

Nomes - argh I know re: Sticky Fingers. About halfway through I realised it was leading to the one party and felt it didn't leave the novel with many places to go. I was very underwhelmed!

Megan said...

Love this idea - sometimes reviews can go on and on and on and on (and that's just me!).

The three books look good - thanks for doing this!

Girl Friday said...

Thanks Megan!

I have a tendency to go a bit overboard when writing and waffle on, so I thought it would be fun (and an exercise in self control haha) to start writing mini reviews with a word limit :)

Death Wears Diamond Jewellery said...

oooh im so in love with this review idea! your blog is super cute too, im so checking back in xxx

Girl Friday said...

oh wow, thank you so much! that's so lovely of you to say :)

Lenore said...

Whip It has been on wish list for awhile - both in book and movie form!

Rachel said...

I found your blog via the Australian Book Bloggers Directory. I love meeting fellow book bloggers and I love meeting Australian book bloggers even more! :) Nice to meet you.

Rachel
And the plot thickens...

Post a Comment