Friday, July 23, 2010

Mixed Bag


Good morning blogosphere! Here is your weekly dose of links to posts, video and anything else that has interested or amused me this week:

♥ This is definitely my favourite new discovery of the week, thanks to the amazing Adele posting about this video series on Persnickety Snark. Alex Reads Twilight is hilarious! This is so fun and quotable. Watch him discuss the first chapter here.

♥ William Kostakis' has written a brilliant response to Alexandra Adornetto opinion piece for The Age about teenage boys. Kostakis says "by all means, crawl into a book for your wish fulfillment, but don’t measure guys up against fantasies unless you want to be consistently disappointed". An excellent post, I urge everyone to read.

♥ Lili Wilkinson has also written a hilarious letter responding to points in Alexandra's article.

♥ An older video but along the same theme - John Green on Romance for Seventeen.com. He also reviews Twilight and New Moon here.

I'm really glad to find that other people have pointed out that Edward Cullen should not be held up as perfect-boyfriend material. I'm surround by girls - intelligent, well-educated, articulate and generally awesome girls - who are smitten with this fiction character (I reiterate with elaborate hand gestures 'fictional character') and I don't get it. Sorry, but in my mind any guy who watches you sleep (without you realising), is emotionally manipulative, withholds sex and messes with your car so you can't visit your friends, is not really the kind of guy who want to go out with.

Also:
♥ Brad Pitt has been cast in the film adaptation of Max Brooks' World War Z
♥ Julianne Moore's children's book Freckleface Strawberry is to be turned into an off-Broadway show
♥ Jordyn of Ten Cent Notes discusses writing well-developed male characters in YA fiction
♥ Cristen Conger from one of my favourite podcasts, Stuff Mom Never Told You, has an awesome video demonstrating tips from Cosmo magazine on 'How To Attract A Man'
♥ Fashion blogger Tavi writes an open letter to Seventeen magazine
♥ Speaking of Seventeen, read about Jamie's Seventeen Magazine Project - in which she spends a month living in accordance to the advice of the popular magazine

Happy Friday!

6 comments:

Nomes (inkcrush) said...

wow - so many top links in here. I always love coming to your mixed bag posts :)

Off to entertain myself from your links :)

xx

and yay for friday!

William Kostakis said...

Thanks for the mention :-)

William

Girl Friday said...

Nomes - aww thank you! I'm so glad you enjoy them :)

William - you're very welcome - that post was fantastic (and not to mention, hilarious!)

Nomes (inkcrush) said...

hey :)

I follow this blog and thought you might want to check out this zombie post. Anyways, it made me think of you :)

http://ceceliabedelia.blogspot.com/2010/07/oh-my-zombie-giveaway.html

xx

lost.in.stories said...

Hey, thanks for the link to Alex Reads Twilight it is so funny, I know what I'll be watching tonight!

I was thinking about going to the colonizing the internet talk still not sure yet. I'm definitely going to Steph Bow, Fiona Wood and Shirley Marr's talks though, they should be good.

Girl Friday said...

Nomes - thanks so much for that link! Awesome interview, I really enjoyed it

Romy - I'm glad you're enjoying it! I thought it was hilarious! Oh, what a good mix of MWF events - I wanted to see Steph Bowe but it clashes with another session - that's why I picked the one with both Steph and Shirley :)

Post a Comment