Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ahhhh Zombies!


Ever since I first started this blog (back in March), I've been wanting to do a week of blogging dedicated solely to all things zombies. I haven't really had a week I could committ to being able to post new zombie-goodness every day, but am now super psyched to announce the first (hopefully of many) Zombie Week at My Girl Friday.

Whenever it comes down to the vampire/werewolf/supernatural creature debate, I am always, always Team Zombie (sorry fangbangers!). My interest in zombies started sometime in the early noughties when my friend and I become obsessed with renting really dodgy Z-grade films from the local video shop. This introduced me to some really awful movies, but also to the zombie-infested work of Sam Raimi and George A. Romero and I've been hooked ever since.

image source: Pride & Prejudice & Zombies

I've been pleasantly surprised to see a resurgence in zombies over the past few years, particularly the rise of the zombie in YA literature. One of the things I love about the zombie device in fiction and film, is that they are more of a blank slate, allowing the writer to project a range of contemporary issues and classical themes onto them. I want to explore how different writers do this, and hopefully introduce some of you to work in this new (and in my opinion - interesting) genre.

What I hope to do during Zombie Week is to celebrate all-things zombie, because clearly they are the least-loved when it comes to supernatural creatures - and I'm getting sick of vampires sucking up all the attention.

2 comments:

Nomes (inkcrush) said...

Oooh - looking forward to it. the only zombies I've read are Carrie Ryan's books - I really really liked them!

xx

Girl Friday said...

Yay - hope you enjoy the posts this week Nomes - looking forward to sharing the zombie love haha

Post a Comment