Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Page to Screen mid 2010

As you are probably well aware by now, I am kind of a nerd when it comes to movies. I go to the cinemas fairly regularly and mostly by myself (which apparently is weird. Is it? Thoughts?) and get pretty darn excited about trailers and upcoming films. 2010 has been a big year for book-to-film adaptations. We've already had  Fantastic Mr Fox, Alice in Wonderland, Dear John, Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant, and Percy Jackson & The Olympians - The Lightning Thief to name a handful. So I thought I'd do a quick round-up of some of the childrens' and YA adaptations to come in the latter half of the year.

Please note I did deliberately omitted Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Their official trailers are not yet released and both films are not out until the end of the year, when I hope to do another Page to Screen round-up.

Also please note, all release dates listed are for the Australian release.

Eclipse


I can easily say that I'm well over the Twi-hype. When I originally read Eclipse, I probably enjoyed it the most from the Twi-series, but the trailer of course only highlights the Edward/Bella/Jacob love triangle. Ho hum. All the Twi-trailers have the same formula (much like the films) - Bella looks pensive + Edward looking cranky + dramatic music + fighting = oh noes!! The interaction between the Cullen family is, so far, what I've found most enjoyable about the films (and there really isn't much of it at all). Plus, if I was forced to pick Twi-teams it would be Team Jasper, who actually it supposed to have a decent part in Eclipse, but is not featured in the trailer once. No love Summit, no love.
Release Date - July 1st

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World


Cannot wait for this!!! I have been eagerly waiting for this film since I first read Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life and saw the first film stills at the start of the year. Not only do I love the graphic  novels, I am also a big fan of both Edgar Wright and Michael Cera. Cera seems perfect for the placcid, slacker Scott and am excited to see Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Ramona Flowers. And Kieran Culkin as Wallace and Alison Pill as Kim Pine (my two favourite characters of the series) is pretty amazing. Also, can I just remark on how much Michael Cera and Anna Kendrick actually look like siblings? Side note: Arrested Development fans get extra excited for a reunion/battle between George Michael and Anne!!!
Release Date - August 26th

Tomorrow When The War Began


When I first hear TWTWB was going to be adapted for the big screen, I was worried. It's a book that I know has such a huge significance to so many Australian teens (or like me, adults who read the books in their teens). So I first viewed the trailer with a mix of excitement and apprehension, especially knowing that they had cast teens from Neighbours and Home and Away. I should not have been concerned, as in my opinion, the trailer has definitely seemed to capture the tone of the novels and the personalities of the characters (Homer getting tackled as he ogles Fi cracks me up everytime). I'm really looking forward to this!
Release Date - September 2nd

Beastly


Hmmmmmm. I've read the book and quite enjoyed it, but so far, the film doesn't seem to sit right with me. I think the stylistic changes (particularly to the Beast's appearance) and big-name casting has turned me off so far. Vanessa Hudgens as Linda is really irking me, and I feel having someone so conventionally attractive will take away from the book's key message. The release date in the US has already been pushed back a couple of times which doesn't seem to be a good start. Who knows though, it may totally surprise us.
Release Date - September 16th

Diary of a Wimpy Kid


Firstly, I have to admit I've never read any of these books so my trailer-viewing is completely blind. Without knowing the series plots, I think the film looks fairly fun and amusing for it's intended audience. I feel like everyone can relate in some way to feeling left-out or embarrassed around their peers, especially during school and it seems like the film will (hopefully) deal with this in a funny yet sensitive way. Sorry for the vagueness, I probably should do some more reading!
Release Date - September 23rd

Ramona and Beezus


Starring newcomer Joey King and Selena Gomez in the respective title roles. Now it's been over twelve years since I read Beverly Cleary's books and upon seeing the trailer I was sort of stumped (the plot seemed to be nothing like I remember) but having Wiki-ed them, it seems like Ramona and Beezus incorporates plots from a number of the books, especially Ramona Forever. I'd love to take my cousin Jessie to see this, and hopefully introduce her to the books as well. I really hope the film emphasises the relationship between the two sisters, as I think the quirky-little-girl story has been done before (Matilda). Though I do think the fantasy sequences look really cute!
Release Date - September 30th

Any upcoming adaptations I missed? Any films you are really excited for
(regardless of whether they're based on a book or not)? Please share!

Edit: Eeep! I'm sorry the trailers are getting cut-out by my layout. My HTML skills are pretty rusty, but I'll work to fix this soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment