Thursday, April 22, 2010

YA Community Thanksgiving

Adele from Persnickety Snark came up with the excellent idea of a YA Community Thanksgiving: in which book bloggers are encouraged to share what they enjoy and appreciate about YA blogosphere. Yay! Another lovely suggestion from Adele. So even though I'm a very new blogger (at just over a month old, MGF is a newborn in blog-time), I still wanted to share the love and write a bit about my experiences so far!


Image Source: Volume 25 via A Beautiful Mess

Finding other people who love YA as much as I do: has made me realise that it's ok to still exclusively borrow from the YA section, despite being twenty-two. And the YA blogging community has the best taste in TV too (yay for teen dramas)!
Book recommendations!: Bad for my bank account but so hard to resist!, The YA blog-land is great at highlighting the best reads and has lead me to some of my favourite books (for example, I discovered Simmone Howell through Persnickety Snark and Steph Bowe). Actually a big chunk of the books I've read this year have come from recommendations or reading lists of YA bloggers and authors who participate within the community.
Finding niches within a niche - I love that everyone in the community has their own interests which filter through their blogs: Kate shares my love of a good Melbourne coffee and makes excellent cafe recommendations and Kristi of Story Siren has such fun, unique features like I'm Just Not That Into You)
Level of support: recently a few YA bloggers had some problems with plagarism and it was fantastic to see how quickly people got on board to support them and spoke out on the issue.
Down-to-earth authors within the community: since joining the YA blogging community, I've found a lot of YA authors to be super accessible (the power of social networking!) and lovely. I never would have thought I'd be able to meet and tweet people who have written some amazing books.

*Snaps for everyone!*

Anyway, it was so fun to give thanks to this community! Though I'm still a newbie, everyone I have communicated with, has been very friendly and welcoming. I'm definitely hoping to become more involved in the YA community.

Thanks for all of your inspiration, humour, encouragement and positivity!

4 comments:

Adele said...

I'm 28 so don't you worry about hanging out in the YA section. I am the scary lady pushing awesome books onto the unsuspecting. Thanks so much for taking the time to participate in spreading some YA love!

Girl Friday said...

Pretty sure I just squee-ed a little getting a comment from you Adele!

Chachic said...

I'm 25 and I still read mostly YA! You really have nothing to worry about, age doesn't matter when it comes to YA. :) I completely agree about the book recommendations. My TBR has grown to epic proportions since I started following book bloggers.

I'm going to add you too to my blogroll and Google Reader!

Mary said...

I'm a newbie too, so yay for book blogs started this year.
I definitely agree with all of your comments here (although at 19 I'm still calling myself the target audience) and plan on keeping up on your blogging.

Post a Comment