Monday, March 29, 2010

Peanut Butter Cookies

Do you like to eat when you read? I know I do! I love curling up with a book, cup of tea (yes, I'm a bit of a Nana) and something sweet. Anyway, last week I was home alone and decided to do some baking while I had the place to myself. I have a huge sweet tooth and love the combination of peanut butter and chocolate, and so decided to try out a new recipe mixing my loves in cookie form!


The result was pretty good! I was a little nervous as I modified the recipe a bit and just hoped for the best.
I will say this recipe is almost more shortbread-ish and I'm more partial to chewy cookies, but you can eat them straight from the oven (eep, like me) or warm them up in the microwave first.  

The recipe, complete with pictures (excuse my food photography skills, they kind of suck) is below.

Ingredients:
- 200g butter
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup of peanut butter (I used a mix of crunchy and smooth)
- 1 1/2 cups of plain flour
- 1 cup of self raising flour
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips (or you could add chopped peanuts for extra-nutty cookies)

Method:
- Preheat your oven to 160 or 140 fan-forced.
- Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- With an electric beater or mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until pale in colour and a creamy consistency.
- Add peanut butter and mix until combined.


- Sift flours and add to the mix. You can either use a wooden spoon or keep using the beater/mixer (like I did). Should not resemble dough.
- Add chocolate chips and/or peanuts and combine.
- Roll a heaped tablespoon of dough into a ball and place on your baking-paper lined tray. Then smoosh the ball flat (I used the back of a spoon) so it's about 1.5cm thick.

- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until lightly golden brown (and will probably still be soft - don't worry!).
- Leave the cookies on the tray for about 5 minutes then put on a wire rack to cool.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

kate.o.d said...

nom nom. we too have been experimenting with peanut-butter-in-stuff. culminating in a chocolate mousse pie with a shortbread/marie biscuit and peanut butter crust. heaven.

Girl Friday said...

mmmmmm that sounds amazing!!! pretty much drooling all over my keyboard right now haha

Post a Comment